By Richa P (@nepalichoriblog)
It’s been one year since I wrote this post on my birthday. This year went by really fast, don’t you think? I can’t believe I will be 29 tomorrow! Last year, I made a list of things I hoped to accomplish. So how have I done? Let me take you through my journey, the successes I have had, the failures, the things I didn’t attempt. Perhaps I will have new goals for this upcoming year.
I had a list of 15 things I wanted to do.
- Getting of Facebook. Yay! I did it, I did it for one whole year. I think I will stay off Facebook for a while, I have no strong urge to get back on it. However, I will admit that sometimes I did check Chris’ Facebook. Oh and I got a twitter instead! Ha! But I find twitter to be less addicting and I use it for news mostly.
- Did I stay off the internet less? Well I am not sure. I do know that I have been good at not getting on my computer after work, dedicating the weekends to be email free, and at least having a day or two where I don’t check my phone or look at the screen in the evenings. I also got a smart phone so perhaps that hasn’t helped.
- I did take guitar lessons, but I didn’t really enjoy it. My interest in guitar has waned, but I took a writing class that I loved. I have been writing a lot of fiction this year, becoming more interested in short stories. I was in the top 7 for this contest judged by Samrat Upadhyay. I have been entering different pieces to various literary publications. There have been more rejections than victories though!
- I have read a lot of books! My favorite from the past year has been Ruby by Cynthia Bond. The language is very beautiful, there are some hard scenes to read, but I just love her writing style. Can’t wait till her other two come out.
- I was very good at being a pen-pal, thank you to all you who wrote to me! I continue to send cards and letters.
- I attempted to learn Spanish, I even downloaded the app Duolingo, I learned a few things, but haven’t been on the app for months.
- My Nepali is the same.
- I did make a lot of good food! I made a angel food cake, some Brazilian cheese bread, pork stew with grits, and inventive vegetarian dishes.
- We moved to a new apartment that has a porch so I have been spending the mornings drinking tea outside. Also enjoying a glass of wine while enjoying the sunsets.
- I did write down things I am grateful for, but now I just say them out loud before going to bed.
- I will continue to work on them and make new goals along the way.
The biggest thing I have accomplished this year has been making the decision to leave my job and spend a few months in Nepal to be with my family and get involved with the earthquake rebuilding. It was not as easy decision to make since I had a secure job that I enjoyed, but I felt like I needed to spend time in Nepal too. My family was not very supportive at first, they have come around. This is a risk I am taking, but I am very happy with my decision.
**What are your goals for the upcoming year? What have you accomplished? Please share!
P.S. Sorry our blog hasn’t been regular, we wanted to focus on more important things after the earthquake. I hope all of you are doing well and your families too.